Physiotherapists diagnose, manage, and treat disorders and injuries of the musculoskeletal system. Physiotherapists address injuries that limit a person’s ability to move and perform functional activities of daily living. A physiotherapist will perform a detailed history and physical examination and come up with a diagnosis and treatment plan that is tailored to each individual and their functional needs.
Physiotherapists can also work with individuals to prevent the loss of mobility before it occurs by developing fitness and wellness-oriented programs for healthier and more active lifestyles. Maintaining and restoring maximum movement and functional ability is essential for overall wellness.
Examples of conditions treated by physiotherapists:
- neck and back pain
- acute sprain and strains
- rehabilitation pre and post surgery
Physiotherapy treatments include:
- muscle therapy and muscle re-education/strengthening
- joint and spine mobilizations
- hot/cold packs, electrical muscle stimulation, ultrasound modalities, medical acupuncture
- therapeutic exercise prescription