Send your kids back to school with happy feet by following these helpful tips!
What is the first step?
Make sure that the shoe store offers to measure.
A proper fitting shoe means less wear and tear, and more comfort for your child throughout the day.
What to look for in a shoe?
- A firm heel cup to hold the foot straight and prevent it from leaning inwards or outwards
- Cushioning at the back of the heel to minimize the need for “breaking in the shoe”
- A fastening which holds the foot in the shoe i.e. straps or laces
- A flexible sole to allow the shoe to bend as your child plays and walks throughout the day
- Arch support particularly for younger children to avoid flat feet
The shoes to avoid!
- Ballet flats/Converse/TOMS – These are too flat and don’t offer enough support
- High Heels – These can force your child’s weight on their toes, causing the arches across the front of their feet to collapse
- lip-on – These allow feet to slip forward causing pressure on the toes